• On an average day, 96 Americans are killed with guns.
• In an average year, there are nearly 13,000 gun homicides a year, in the United States.
• For every one person killed with guns, there are two more who are injured.
• 62% of the deaths caused by firearms are completed suicides.
• Seven children and teens are killed with guns in the United States on an average day.
• In an average month 50 women are shot to death by their intimate partners in the United States.
• There are 3.6 gun-related homicides per 100,000 residents in the United States, 7 times the number of gun-related homicides, in Canada and Portugal.
• Background checks have stopped over 3 MILLION of gun sales to people who are prohibited to own them.
• The presence of a firearm in a domestic violence incident, increases the risk that the woman will be killed by fivefold.
When I was creating the business plan for First Responder Training Systems, the one mentor who was reviewing my business plan questioned whether there would be a demand for a non-profit specializing in helping communities following emergencies, especially emergencies which are caused by gun violence.
Unfortunately, I wish that there wasn’t a demand. I would want nothing more than for our society to develop into a society where communities weren’t impacted by man-caused emergencies, and I could focus on helping communities that were impacted by natural emergencies.
• February 14, 2018 – Parkland, Fl – 17 people were murdered and 16 were injured by an attack on Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
• February 5, 2018 – Oxon Hill, Md – 1 person was injured by an attack at Oxon Hill High School.
• February 1, 2018 – Los Angeles, Ca – 4 people were injured by an unintentional discharge of a firearm at Salvador B. Castro Middle School.
• January 31, 2018 – Philadelphia, PA – 1 person was murdered by an attack at Lincoln High School.
• January 23, 2018 – Benton, Ky – 1 person was murdered and 19 were injured by an attack at Marshall County High School.
• January 22, 2018 – Gentilly, La – 1 person was injured by an attack at The NET Charter High School.
• January 22, 2018 – Italy, Tx – 1 person was injured by an attack at Italy High School.
So far, in 2018, 19 people were killed or murdered, and 42 were injured in 7 shootings at schools.